Career Ventures, Inc., is passionate about working with people who are Deaf, DeafBlind, Hard of Hearing, Blind and Low Vision in preparing, obtaining and maintaining employment. Our employees enjoy the variety offered in their work day, a venue for professional growth and a real opportunity to make a difference. We are seeking dynamic individuals to join our team.
Position: Transition Specialist, Metro Area
Part time Pay based on experience
The Transition Specialist is a grant funded position that provides employment and independent living skills services for students who are Deaf, DeafBlind, and Hard of Hearing. The Transition Specialist will work with students in the school setting as well as in the community. The ultimate goal is to assist students in preparing for employment and/or post-secondary education as well as developing the independent living skills needed to transition to adulthood.
This position requires a minimum of 20 hours/week with the potential of 40 hours/week.
Other key responsibilities include:
• Teach students about self -advocacy, job development, workplace readiness, transition and post- secondary education.
• Work closely with school staff to coordinate program activities.
• Support each student in exploring their current and future career and education paths.
• Support each student in developing their independent living skills.
• Collect information on students participating in the program, submit this information to the appropriate parties and provide monthly update activity reports.
• Participate in student IEPs meetings, team meetings and parent meetings to review and coordinate student services.
• Coordinate student community-based work experiences.
• Provide job coaching supports during student community-based work experiences.
• Provide job readiness training.
• Provide career exploration opportunities.
• Coordinate post-secondary tours.
Successful candidates will have:
• Experience working with people who are Deaf, DeafBlind, Hard of Hearing.
• Proficient American Sign Language skills.
• Proficient English skills.
• Effective interpersonal skills to interact with people of diverse backgrounds.
• The ability to work with various levels of management across organizations.
• Outstanding problem-solving skills.
• Flexibility in their schedule to accommodate assignments.
• Basic computer skills.
• Competency in navigating the internet.
• Proficiency in writing professional reports.
• A valid driver’s license and reliable personal transportation.
*Upon a job offer, the candidate must be able to pass a legal and driving background check.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position to Wendy DeVore, Chief Executive Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.