People Incorporated serves people with mental illness in the Minneapolis and Saint Paul metro area. In 2017, we reached over 12,000 individuals through more than 60 different programs. Helping people with mental illness requires great flexibility and creativity. That's why we start with the person first...developing innovative, effective services that provide the care, resources, and connections that will help each person in the best way possible. Join us in our mission to support mental health and wellness in our community through collaboration and integration of care!
This is a program for Deaf/Deafblind/Hard of Hearing adults with Serious and Persistent Mental Illness (SPMI) or a mental illness diagnosis co-occurring with a chronic medical condition. American Sign Language (ASL) is the primary mode of communication which offers our residents a strong sense of community with other deaf adults and strengthens our support activities in a culturally affirmative environment. We provide an array of individualized services to our residents to help maintain independent living in a community setting.
We are searching for a Mental Health Support Specialist. This role is responsible for creating a supportive environment for our residents while they work on their individual visions of wellness and independence. Responsibilities include:
- Actively engaging with residents in their daily activities, developing positive relationships that support the client in meeting their goals
- Providing intervention and de-escalation for clients experiencing mental health symptoms
- Documenting observable behaviors and symptoms
- Participating with residents during in-house and community activities
- Coaching residents on independent living skills and coping mechanisms
- Safely administering medications and offer coaching on medication management
- Serving meals and completing general housekeeping
You will be hired for a regular schedule at one of our programs and training is provided for all medication administration. In general, employees must be flexible to attend supervision meetings, staff meetings and ongoing training opportunities as well as meeting the needs of our 24/7 programs. Evening and overnight positions pay an hourly wage plus a shift differential.
We are currently looking for hires for our full-time, part-time and casual positions available at the program.
- Fluency in American Sign Language (ASL)
- High school diploma
- Excellent driving record, reliable car, and current auto insurance
- Previous experience working with individuals with serious and persistent mental illness, chemical dependency, developmental disabilities, and/or other health conditions that impact mental health
- Associate or Bachelor degree in social work, psychology, or human services
People Incorporated offers a suite of comprehensive medical and dental benefits as well as competitive pay, and four weeks of paid time off. Beginning November 1, 2018 People Incorporated grounds will be tobacco free to promote health and wellness for the individuals we serve and for our employees.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability, veterans or other status unrelated to job qualifications.